Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Review
The purpose of this exfoliant is to help remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin to leave skin smoother and brighter. It does so using papain (papaya enzyme), salicylic acid and rice enzymes.
The standard size for the product is a 74g bottle. With regular use every other day, this bottle usually lasts me about a year.
Instructions say to dispense about half a teaspoon of the powdered product into wet hands and rub together to create a creamy paste. The creamy paste should then be applied to the face in circular motions and massaged gently for one minute, then removed with water. As the name implies, it is a “daily microfoliant” and so it can be used on a daily basis. I use it every other day because I alternate between this product and a chemical exfoliant.
As previously mentioned, the product starts out as a white powder. When mixed with water, it becomes a creamy paste with some small white particles remaining, giving it a rough texture. There’s not much of a scent to it.
After massaging the pasty product into my face for a minute or so, and rinsing it off, my skin instantly feels smoother and softer. Any visible dry patches of skin are gone after I use this product.
- To me, the texture of this product is just right for a physical exfoliant. The particles are quite fine in comparison to the many other exfoliants that I’ve tried. The creamy paste is also not too slippery nor too “grippy.” It takes off dead skin very nicely. I find physical exfoliants that have larger particles/beads often don’t do a very good job of exfoliating.
- This combination of rice bran enzymes and salicylic acid seems to be really effective at removing flaky dead skin cells. It feels as though the addition of the salicylic acid gives the exfoliant a bit more a “grip” in taking off the dead skin cells. I’ve tried other rice bran based exfoliants (such as Tatcha’s Polished Classic Rice Enzyme powder, which contains very similar ingredients) and have found the best results with the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. – Something about this product’s combination of the creamy texture and fine particles just does my skin right. Perhaps it is also the salicylic acid working its magic.
- This product is a bit pricey at $76CAD a bottle…
Yes! I’ve been using this product for many years and have been through many bottles of it.
- I use this product in the shower to give my neck and décolletage a little bit of TLC. I use about a teaspoon (instead of half a teaspoon) and massage the product on to my neck and décolletage area as well. This area is often neglected in our skincare regimes, so it’s a great opportunity to give it some care and attention!
- This is my go to product the night before a big day where I need to put on makeup. I use this product to remove rough patches of dry skin and then pat on a good water based moisturizer to ensure a smooth canvass for makeup application. I detest when makeup catches on to dry patches making it even more noticeable than when I didn’t have makeup on. This product effectively eradicates that problem for me.